3 Reasons You Should Be Meal Prepping
Why don’t more people prep their meals? Well, when meal prepping you must plan and that is enough for any busy person to say “no, thank you”. But it doesn’t have to be that way! Meal prepping shouldn’t seem like a chore but rather a way to organize what you are going to eat for the next few days. Now, let’s talk about the 3 reasons why you should take our advice!
Meal Prepping will save you time! When you plan your meals, you will know exactly what you need to get at the grocery store (which means less time looking through every isle picking up anything and everything). Now that you have your grocery list you can go home and prepare all of your meals for the week which will save you time during the week when you: A. are trying to figure out what you want to eat and B. have to then cook it. Instead, all you do it grab your pre-portioned meal out of the fridge and you are good to go!
Ever order-out just because you have nothing in the fridge and don’t feel like cooking? Or are in a rush and don’t have time to cook so you grab some fast food? We have all been there! Everyone knows that ordering-out or going out to eat is much more expensive than cooking at home, but sometimes it’s the fastest and most convenient thing to do in the moment. One great reason to prep your meals is because you will always know you have left-overs in the fridge and can quickly microwave them.
Remember when we asked you if when you are in rush and don’t have time to cook do you just go and get some fast food? It happens to all of us, and it happens more than we’d like to admit! Meal prepping will help you to have a healthier option than ordering fast food. Not only does meal prepping help you eat healthier when you are on the go, but it makes you eat healthier in general. By planning and pre-portioning your meals you know exactly what you're eating and how much you are eating.
BONUS: Get creative! Meal Prepping can be done for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks!
Let’s get started! Below is one of our favorite HEALTHY meal prep recipes!
LEMON HERB CHICKEN SHEET PAN WITH RAINBOW VEGETABLES
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time
10 mins 20 mins 30 min
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded thinly (can also use chicken thighs but will have to adjust cooking times to 40 minutes)
4 Tablespoons lemon about 1 lemon
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the Vegetables:
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
1/2 red bell pepper cut into 1" chunks
1/3 cup chopped carrots
1/2 orange bell pepper cut into 1" chunks
1/3 yellow bell pepper cut into 1" chunks
1/3 cup snap peas
1/3 cup broccoli florets
1/3 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup baby potatoes cut in half
1/2 cup purple baby potatoes cut in half
1/2 cup radishes
For Meal Prep:
Your favorite cooked carb - quinoa rice, farro, cauliflower rice, roasted sweet potatoes etc.
4 Lunchbox containers
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a large baking sheet with oil or line with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easier cleanup.
In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, honey, and seasonings.
2. Pour 1/2 into a large resealable zip-top bag and add chicken. Seal tightly and rub 3. marinade into chicken.
4. Add chopped vegetables separately (according to the colors of the rainbow if you want to arrange them like I did - if not just add them all together) to the bowl with the remaining marinade (reserving 1-2 teaspoons for topping chicken at the end).
4. Toss vegetables and arrange onto the prepared sheet pan, either in separate rows according to colors of the rainbow, or any way you like.
5. Add chicken to the pan and bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Toss vegetables and flip chicken, then return to the pan to bake for another 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (depending on how thick your chicken is - I pounded mine to pretty thin pieces so they cooked fast). Drizzle with reserved marinade.
6. Serve hot with your favorite side or if meal prepping, divide into lunch boxes.